Thursday, May 10, 2012

A calender at peace.

I don't consider myself to be a writer. Writing demands tremendous amounts of patience and research; qualities which are not on the top of my strengths. But you have to admit not may of the writers do in fact have these qualities in them. I rather consider myself to be a voracious reader capable of devouring the likes of Frederick Forsyth, Tom Clancy, Shakespeare and Vaikom Muhammad Basheer in a single sitting. Few books compel me to return to them again and again. Those that do have a demanding storyline or intricate plots or compelling characters. Most of the books that don't usually end up as a permanent fixture on my bookshelf gathering dust until i return to them on a really really rainy day.

I was pleasantly surprised to be handed a book by a friend; considering that he hates reading; it came as quite a surprise. My first thought of "A Calendar Too Crowded" by Sagarika Chakraborty (aka the-sea-saga to those on twitter) was that it probably one of those books written about India and its ills designed to sell well in the west and hopefully pull in an award or two. But in this case I was wrong .It was different and thoroughly enjoyable. Conveyed the same thoughts to the author and so here i am with the review.

In a world obsessed with celebrating a 24 hour period to some cause; women i discovered seem to have the most days named after them. But this in not a Hallmark card celebration we read through. It portrays the struggle to be a women. Born as the wrong sex, covering up the beatings, handling the emotional baggage, haggling over dowry and the final abandonment for some unfortunate souls. The book is not a shocker per se; we all knew these things happen but didn't move a muscle. The book has a way of celebrating or rather exposing the truth we didn't want to know through a weaving narrative. It connects random days on the calender to events and people seemingly unconnected. Is this just another feminist rant? I began to think after turning through a few pages. It isn't in fact the effect is more sublime as the rest of the book proved. You didn't see anything but the thought stays with you for ever.

I think what stands out is that there is no cliche being exploited. It does not ask the reader to use the death ray on all the evil doers nor does it want tears for the victims. The book asks no questions nor provides any answer. Its just brings out the truth that you knew existed but did not want to acknowledge. 

"What do we do now" asked the small voice from my right cerebral cortex after reading the entire book ? The answer came surprisingly from my left cerebral cortex "The beginning of change" the new voice said now gaining boldness "should be small; in every home; in every family". Perhaps that is what the author wanted. A tiny voice awoken to the world.

This will be a well thumbed well worn edition standing proud along my literary greats and not just gather dust on my bookshelf.I wouldn't dare to name a particular story as my favorite although quite a few do stand out or rather poke my conscience once in a while.

A great read, my lady Sea Saga; if i may address you as such. Awaiting more....

2 comments:

Sagarika said...

Am humbled, am touched - am elated that the voice inside spoke to you about the coming change. As Tagore would have said I can now rest in peace for one reader has known what lies within :)

Thanking you would be to belittle you! :))

Jem n ash said...

Way to go , Bro...and reading the note from the author herself says it all.

And now, to turn your 'Diamond Chunks' into another 'Calender' or any book of sorts tangible for the masses and a 'saga' for the classes....

Thy readers await....